Manpower (MPU)
  • << previous
  • next >>
said on Jun 23, 2010 at 08:28 PM

How do you get more manpower? I started as Qatar and I need more of it to build some buildings i need.

• Danary
said on Jun 23, 2010 at 08:43 PM

Keep your regions well-fed and they will steadily produce MPUs based on their population. If you hover your mouse over your total MPU value in the top bar, it should tell you how many you are producing each turn.

said on Jun 23, 2010 at 08:48 PM

ZenMonken said

Keep your regions well-fed and they will steadily produce MPUs based on their population. If you hover your mouse over your total MPU value in the top bar, it should tell you how many you are producing each turn.

Im not producing any ATM. So just keep them well fed and MPU will start to rise eventually? Also How do I build Oil Refineries?

• Danary
said on Jun 23, 2010 at 09:49 PM

Stability also plays into MPU growth. If you are in debt, it might slow it down some.

Oil Refineries require an open oil field slot and the research project Petrochemicals. If you have those, 200 coal and 100 metals, you should be able to right-click on a region and set it from available projects.

said on Jun 30, 2010 at 04:46 PM

So if i have this right, If you start as lets say Oman and u have 20 mpu and no increase coming...you can build one farm and then do nothing for hmmm lets say 200 turns??? Seems pointless to even have them as an option if that is true.

• rb1092
said on Jun 30, 2010 at 06:40 PM

ZenMonken said

Now, on the Government panel it shows the things that boost MPU growth, one of which is Food. In my case, next to Food is a big fat zero. Yet, I've stockpiled 300,000 Food and have NEVER experienced a shortage. What is happening though is that my Consumption of Food is significantly greater than Production of Food. But I would think that since my Food Stockpile is so large, I would NOT be penalized/not get a growth bonus because of the the Consumption/Production disparity.

"Choose wisely"
said on Jun 30, 2010 at 07:06 PM

We poked around at this and aren't completely happy with how it's working.

There will likely be some changes in the next update.

said on Jul 01, 2010 at 04:18 PM

I know that many people have had trouble with manpower, but I think that most of those problems are in the early game, and it also depends on the scenario. Playing the 1933 scenario on a few different countries if you can make through the early game, the manpower picks up later on. I was playing Japan and it was hard going in the beginning becuase there is so much to build, but after building up and taking China by 1938, I had at least 14,000 MPU's. Sure, some of that is because I have China, but I was gaining a LOT of MPU's per turn, and I couldn't even spend them all because I was short on resources. This set up also happend when I played Argentina, where I had at least 8K plus MPU's by 1939.

So, looking at this I feel that the game would be more balanced if nations started out with more MPU's to start, but, you slow down the mechanism for MPU growth. In contrast to most people in this thread, the rapid MPU growth leads to insane amounts of MPU's later on, so by changing it the way I suggest the game might have more even growth.

What do you think Zenmonken??

said on Dec 18, 2010 at 08:26 PM

You have this problem becuse your population is small at the start and the bigger it is the faster you get MUP's

said on Dec 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I just think some sort of compensation should exist for the extremely small nations. Because having 0.74 MPU per turn sucks and I have been wanting to do a Middle Eastern Empire.

"Sex is the most fun you can have without laughing."
-Woody Allen
said on Dec 20, 2010 at 01:48 PM

But it stands to reason that it takes more people to make a greater number of people. Think about it:

Country A has a population of 10 million people. Half of them are female = 5 million. Half of those remaining are too old or too young = 2.5 million. Half of those remaining are doing something other than cranking out babies = 1.25 million. It takes 9 moths/36 weeks (turns) to "grow" a baby, with babies being born on an even distribution = 1.25 million/36 = .0347 million per turn. [We won't even consider attrition from birth to becoming old enough to join the work force.]

In contrast, Country B has a population of 100 million = 10 times what Country A has. So Country B is cranking out .347 million people per turn.

If you fiddle with the numbers in order to make Country A to have a faster MPU growth rate, you will send the growth rate of larger countries skyrocketing. An incidental effect of that would be that the World's population growth rate skyrockets -- and Food Production simply could NOT keep up with the Food Demand growth rate. VERY SOON, nearly every nation flatlines its MPU growth because pretty much the entire world is starving.

"Choose wisely"
said on Dec 28, 2010 at 03:47 AM

And now you gave the answer, why it makes no sense to make everything addictive from an MPU growth when you can not really control it. For smaller populations its really hard to become a big nation because of the small MPU growth and when you have a big nation like USA, you can not stop the MPU growth when you want. Means, that in my opinion the game system should be changed.

I think its better to make the MPU growth addictive to a factor which you can steer or control. For example about the town sizes (IPU size). This you can control by building bigger towns and the MPU rate will rise up only when you build more IPU's. It makes no sense that the MPU grow rate will be higher and higher but the town sizes will not grow. In reallity its the same, when the population becomes bigger the towns are becoming bigger too!

• strategist
said on Dec 28, 2010 at 02:12 PM

strategist said

It makes no sense that the MPU grow rate will be higher and higher but the town sizes will not grow.

Don't forget that there are a gazillion villages scattered around the globe. Plus the possibility of creating more villages. The Cities that the game shows are only those that are really big and/or really important for the nation or region where they are located. The US, for instance, during its growth between 1865 and 1900 had literally thousands of towns spring up in the middle of nowhere as the railroads fanned out across the continent. There were also hundreds of ghost towns created as people followed the latest gold and silver strikes. But you are correct that as Cities grow, so would MPUs, and vice versa.

"Choose wisely"
  • << previous
  • next >>